feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Snow, Snowing & Snew

Labels: , , , ,

On the right is a photo scan of my new (& first) nephew. It's alot clearer than the scans my wife had when she was pregnant with the twins. It was like an 85 year old on drugs drawing on an etch-a-sketch. But as you can see, you can clearly make out the head, nose, mouth & arm. He also looks like he's scratching his head. (just like my brother). Kids are wonderful at stating the obvious, embarrassing you in front of strangers & family & making you fall over laughing.

Teaching the kids the subtleties of English whilst they are being brought up in France can be funny & frustrating. A few years ago we were trying to teach them that the past tense of throw is threw not throwed, & the same with grow & grew not growed. But then our daughter said "Oh I get it, if today it's snowing & tomorrow it will snow, then yesterday it snew.
NO NO NO NO NO. It's impossible, I thought learning French is hard having masculine & feminine everything. But teaching English grammar rules, & when they are to be broken is not easy.
Because a child when told something like that says the one thing to stop you dead in your tracks "but why?"
Can you answer it? No, it just doesn't sound right to say "it snew yesterday" or why the word "close" can be said two different ways even though they are spelt the same.
My brother is looking forward to the birth of his son, but I haven't got the heart to tell him what he's in for.

PS my spell checker has just had a nervous breakdown






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter